Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Eating without Distraction

Lately the hardest eating guideline for me has been eating without distraction. I have been really pretty good about checking in with myself before eating to see if I am hungry or not. I just have this feeling that I always need to be doing 20 things at one time and if I am not then I am slacking. So it seems SO STRANGE to take the time to just eat and be reflective.

I know the value in eating without distractions. I have seen it work. You have a plate of food. You eat a few of the best bites, let it settle, check in again and repeat as needed. It's really not that hard. It just seems like such a foreign concept to just be doing that one thing. I want the TV on with the computer on and then eating dinner. But then I do forget to eat slowly, enjoy what I am eating and check in on my hunger.

So this is my next big challenge - make this habit. Turn off the monitor at work when it is lunch time and have lunch. Mute the TV and close the laptop when I am eating dinner.

Hope all is well with everyone!

Alison

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about this concept one day last week as I was sitting in front of the TV shoving food into my face. Challenging, indeed! I look forward to hearing how it goes. You seem really focused!

    ReplyDelete